According to recent government data, an estimated 3.1% of Britons over the age of 16 now identify as LGBTQ+, with the number of young people under 16 doubling over the last 4 years.
However, statistics alone only tell us part of the story.
Whilst there have been many advances in equality for LGBTQ+ people over recent years, there is still much more that needs to be done.
Although being LGBTQ+ doesn’t necessarily mean you will have poor mental health – all the evidence shows that there are alarming levels of mental ill health amongst the LGBTQ+ community, compared to those within the general population.
A recent study by Stonewall found that:
- Half of LGBTQ+ people had experienced depression and 3 in 5 had experienced anxiety
- 1 in 8 LGBTQ+ people aged 18-24 had attempted to end their life
- More than 1 in 10 trans people (12%) attempted to take their own life, compared to 2% of LGB people who aren’t trans.
- Almost half of trans people (46%) have also had thoughts about taking their own life.
With these figures rising each day; we need to make sure that our LGBTQ+ friends, family and colleagues are sufficiently supported in the workplace, and society at large.
Join Rebecca Reed (Mental Health and Suicide First Aid Trainer) and Sarah Stephenson-Hunter (LGBTQ+ Trainer, Speaker and Podcaster) as they talk about navigating language, workplace support and supportive conversations in order to become an ally of those within the LGBTQ+ community.
Want to continue the conversation? Join us on our online workshop on Tuesday 4th October @ 13:00 - 14:30 PM. Book your ticket here on Eventbrite: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/411082377457
£5 from every ticket going to Mosaic LGBT+ Young Persons Trust who work tirelessly to support young people in the LGBTQ+ community.
Find more about Rebecca Reed:
- Website: https://www.siendo.co.uk/
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/rebecca-reed-cheetham/ & https://www.linkedin.com/company/siendo-wellbeing
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/siendo.wellbeing
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/siendo.wellbeing
Find more about Sarah Stephenson-Hunter:
- Website: https://www.simplyequality.com
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/sarah-stephenson-hunter-she-her-02225a96/